Elixir

https://twitter.com/rbates/status/614217079697207297

If Ryan starts doing screencasts I will definitely start learning it!

Have to say, there’s a lot of buzz around Elixir and Phoenix at the moment - anyone used it yet? What do you think?

It’s second on my to-learn list (after react.js). Really want to get into functional programming and Elixir seems to be the nicest way out there to do so. I will be following comments and feedback here with great interest.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of Erlang/OTP, so I’ll admit I haven’t had much interest in Elixir.

2 Likes

Here are some interesting slides:

1 Like

Is there a video for that slides?

1 Like

I don’t think so @JikkuJose

This is a really interesting talk:

2 Likes

You can get 39% of Elixir books on Manning with this code: tanweihao39 :+1:

I’m r e a l l y tempted to order these:

Elixir In Action

The Little Elixir and OTP Guidebook

Also for 24 hours only this code gets you 50% off mltanweihao (or if that doesn’t work try dotd070115tw).

1 Like

thanks for sharing AJ, both look good!

1 Like

This caught my eye in the intro in EIA:

Hmmmm wonder if we could have Opal (Ruby) on the client-side and Elixir on the server! :heart_eyes:

Edit: Also this just hit my Twitter feed:

https://twitter.com/MiguelCamba/status/591233951978676224/photo/1

does this mean that Erlang/Elixir can do all of the above ?? or is it Server A and Server B ?

It’s just Server B.

Basically, the author is talking about two server systems he’s set-up and used professionally - I’ve just got to it so haven’t read his assessment yet. Check it out here it’s in the sample chapter: http://manning.com/juric/elixir-in-action-CH01.pdf

More I read about Elixir the more I am really excited about it. So far I feel like it’s as close as possible to Ruby (to look at) but on Steroids :yum:

I’m just not sure I can get around the whole functional programming thing - I do love OOP.

1 Like

Like @AstonJ said, Erlang can do all of this out of the box!

It’s a very interesting languages, that I personally hope will win forward with the introduction of Elixir.

2 Likes

It does sound like a very powerful language indeed. I think FP is the way of the future, due to its suitability for parallel programming. It seems to me that Elixir is definitely something worth investing in.

1 Like

The funny thing is I always said that I did not want to be a Polyglot! #RubyEverywhere haha

1 Like

You can still be a Polyglot but only using cool languages.

A Polycoolglot!

1 Like

I can live with that Fred, and… I just bought both of those books :sunglasses:

Anyone else fancy learning Elixir? Maybe we can share tips, help each other out etc.

/Merged thread into this one/

Yes, I’ll give Elixir a go :thumbsup:

1 Like

Awesome! I posted coupons to get 50% off (or if you missed it 39% off) of the Manning books in the other thread if you are interested. (I’m also considering getting Introducing Elixir as seems to be a good introduction to functional programming).

I’ve been told the tutorial on the site is meant to be excellent too :+1:

At this stage, I just want to see if I can get my heard around FP… I’m not the brightest spark you see! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Maybe we can use this thread to see how we’re getting on? Tho feel free to start a new thread if you like :slight_smile:

1 Like