Which other languages interest you?

Awesome :023: so you’ll be joining us learning it then? :003:

Anyone else looked at Elm? http://elm-lang.org

It’s on my to do list of languages to learn - partly because it’s FP and partly because it is meant to be very fast…

I’ve played with it several times across it’s various generations. They’ve added mechanisms for nesting components, and they’ve built an abstraction over signals that makes introducing it a little gentler. Elm reactor is also nice.

There are still some things that aren’t totally clear to me; like how they handle long polling or socket.io.

With the Effects types, it looks like they are going out of their way to avoid monads, which I don’t understand. I also miss do notation in elm. That would be a great addition.

1 Like

Thanks for the info @kofno. Did you use n particular resources to learn it? (Prag Studios has some new material on it. )

Well, I’ve been following it for a while, so I’ve been learning from their tutorials as I went. I was playing with this tutorial last week: GitHub - evancz/elm-architecture-tutorial: How to create modular Elm code that scales nicely with your app

1 Like

My previous comment may have sounded more negative then I meant it to. Elm may be the best UI Architecture we have going right now, and it is getting better all the time. So if you’re interested, you should definitely jump in.

1 Like

Yeah it’ definitely on my to-look-at-in-more-depth list, particularly as it’s an alternative to React (I am not a fan of FB and would prefer not to use their tech).

How do you find it compared to the alternatives?

I think its superior to the javascript frameworks. Certainly it is closest to React, but FRP model is a better fit in Elm because the language is designed around pure functions.

Elm’s type system is quite good, and they have vey good error reporting. The efforts to graft types onto javascript just aren’t as good. In many cases, not even close.

I’m not especially fond of JSX either. Elm UI’s are built in Elm code.

1 Like