What are your favourite Ruby books?

I’m always on the look out for good Ruby books! Would love to hear your recommendations (and why you like them so much).

Eloquent ruby is pretty good :smile: Also looking forward to read ‘Practical Object-Oriented Design in Ruby’ when I have some time.

1 Like

I love Eloquent Ruby! Russ Olsen is just awesome. If you haven’t read it, check out his Design Patterns in Ruby as well - think I like that even better than ER :smiley:

1 Like

The “Ruby Cookbook” is a must. And I like “The Minitest Cookbook” by Chris Kottom.

2 Likes

Russ Olsen’s books are classics AFAIC. Out of the newer books out there I like Brandon Hikert’s Build a Ruby Gem

2 Likes

ruby under microscope really helped me a lot to understand Ruby internals. Ruby Under a Microscope - Pat Shaughnessy :blush:

2 Likes

Eloquent Ruby is the best. And Russ Olsen is so awesome. Got to meet him at a Ruby meet-up in Copenhagen.

3 Likes

I’m so jealous - he is one of my Ruby Heroes! :heart:

You have listed all my favorite “normal” Ruby books already, so I’m going to go off the beaten path a little.

Functional Programming for the Object-Oriented Programmer by Brian Marick

Not strictly speaking a Ruby book, but there is an exercise where you build a Ruby-like OO system in clojure. And its a good programming book just in general.

Kestrels, Quirky Birds, and Hopeless Egocentricity by Reg Braithwaite

Really interesting book about combinatorial logic, but uses ruby and ruby-meta programming to demonstrate.

3 Likes

Thank you for this one it’s brilliant!

There’s a list of great Ruby books here: AwesomeRubyist / awesome_reading_list

2 Likes

Oh thanks for posting! This looks like it could be perfect, I was looking for some kind of book to explain “functional programming basics” coming from a Ruby background.

2 Likes