How to index large number of images?

I am extracting images from graphic heavy magazines in high volume. As this operation is I/O heavy, I have created a micro service(multiple AWS EC2 instances) to process PDFs.

Both applications shares session and have shared directory(Amazon EFS).

The microservice has exposed a RESTful API to receive document(PDF) id and figureout the location of PDF based on common configuration. So there is no need for DB so far.

Now, I need to display all extracted images in another frontend rails app. I also have to track which image belongs to which page of the specific PDF.

So is it a good idea to share DB between two rails application where I need to interact with only one model(Image)? Any other suggestion for the architectural design?

1 Like

Could you have the API handle it? Then you wouldn’t need two connections to the DB.

1 Like

In order to reduce load on Front End application, I have devised another application(say microservice) to handle IO heavy operations initiated from the Front End UI directly(used shared session to authenticate each request).

So I cannot expose API from Front End application to insert images from microservice app.

1 Like