Firefox Developer Edition

Anyone use Firefox Developer Edition Web Browser for development? It’s pretty cool. Firefox Developer Edition

2 Likes

I’ve used it occasionally, however I can’t unhook myself from using RailsPanel on Chrome, so whenever I develop in Rails I end up using Chrome. There’s nothing like RailsPanel on Firefox AFAIK, is there ??

1 Like

I’m not much of a FF user, but what does it offer that firebug doesn’t?

Alternative browser emulation. WebIDE. Audio Editor. Performance Tools. Page Inspector. Along with the expected JavaScript Debugger etc.

Once you learn all the different hotkeys Firefox itself is pretty amazing.

1 Like

Oh and I’ve been having HTML5 videos get stuck every few seconds while the audio continued in the normal Firefox Browser (I hear chrome has the same issue). When I switched/upgraded to the dev browser all the online videos play beautifully with no issues.

1 Like

I want to switch away from Chrome, because I find it slow and memory consuming, so I tried FF / FFdev some time ago.

They were both, unfortunately, more memory consuming and more sluggish than Chrome had ever been. :sob:

I am contemplating a switch to Safari in some time, and I will use only Safari for a couple of weeks at least before I give my verdict on it.

2 Likes

Of the web browsers Steve Gibson (of Security Now) recommends he says Firefox generally implements better security. As for me Chrome has been a memory hog but I’ve had no issue with Firefox.

1 Like

I use Safari for all my browsing, I use Chrome for dev but I don’t allow it internet access (localhost only). I only use FF for firebug occasionally.

Firefox Developer Edition automatically downloads updates (just like Google Chrome). The last update they switched away from having new firefox processes per tab open to true multithreaded operation. Faster and far more memory efficient. Should solve the issue you had @Ohm

1 Like

Did Firefox ever use one process per tab?
Or is it Firefox Developer Edition only?

Anyway the one process per tab thing on Chrome does consume much memory.

1 Like

Yes. It’s easy to see many Firefox processes open with each tab. It was also noted in their last update changelog about switching to multithreaded operation.

1 Like

If you are talking about Firefox Developer Edition then I am not sure.
If you are talking about normal version or ESR then it hasn’t be multi-process (on Windows at least).

1 Like

I’m referring to normal Firefox. And I use Linux.

1 Like

OK I have no idea then :smile:

2 Likes

Ok. I’ll give FFdev another try, before heading over to Safari.

1 Like

Is there a way to hide the bookmarks bar when I’m not on about:newtab?

I can’t seem to get Stylish to do it, either I can change the user interface or I can change the content of a given web page, I can’t seem to change the user interface on a given web page. :crying_cat_face:

1 Like

Hmm… couldn’t figure out how to do it only on about:newtab, but I found this Stylish snippet, that will hide the bookmarks bar until you hover the URL bar:

@namespace url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#navigator-toolbox {
    position: relative;
    transition: all 0.3s ease 1s !important;
}

#PersonalToolbar {
    margin-top: -23px !important;
    transition: all 0.3s ease 1s !important;
}

#navigator-toolbox:hover {
    margin-bottom: -23px !important;
    transition-delay: 0s !important;
}

#navigator-toolbox:hover > #PersonalToolbar {
    margin-top: 0 !important;
    transition-delay: 0s !important;
}

Sadly, you are not allow just to wrap this in

@-moz-document url("about:newtab") {
}
2 Likes

I’ve not tried to do anything like that. But anything in the toolbar (bookmarks) should be removable with a right-click remove-from-toolbar.

1 Like

Oh, but I’m not trying to remove anything, just hide the bookmark bar when I’m not on about:newtab.

1 Like

A weird limitation I’ve found in FFdev (possibly also FF) is that I can’t scroll horizontally without first scrolling vertically with my Magic Trackpad or the built-in one for that matter.

Not a feature I use that often, but it seems kinda broken.

1 Like