What gems do you have to have?

Suppose downloading open source would become outlawed tomorrow. What gems would you have to download today to be happy with your tool-set?

I nominate these:

3 Likes

Iā€™m thinking Iā€™d like to atleast have these as well:

I might even go for MongoDBā€¦ even though Iā€™m not yet a fan. And three of my most useful gems Iā€™ve authored as well:

2 Likes

gem ā€œsinatraā€
gem ā€œcucumberā€
gem ā€œohmā€
gem ā€œnokogiriā€
gem ā€œjsonā€
gem ā€˜rakeā€™
gem ā€œrerunā€
gem ā€œyardā€
gem ā€œsimplecovā€
gem ā€œdover_to_calaisā€ (with extreme bias :smile: )
gem ā€œactiverecordā€
gem ā€œsinatra-activerecordā€
gem ā€œsqlite3ā€
gem ā€˜minitestā€™
gem ā€˜minitest-emojiā€™
gem ā€˜minitest-reportersā€™
gem ā€˜rack-testā€™
gem ā€˜guardā€™
gem ā€˜guard-minitestā€™

2 Likes

How do you like ohm? Iā€™ve never tried it.

1 Like

I use it all the time. In fact, I wrote an article about it.

2 Likes

I have to admit I tend not to use a gem if it is simple enough to roll myself. However I do find myself using Rails Admin a lot because it just makes things so much easier - especially at the start of a project.

Nokogiri is great too!

Itā€™s awesome how there are so many gem out there - makes Ruby the perfect language to very quickly prototype things :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aston, do you have a list? Iā€™ve been optimizing my Raspberry Pi with the latest Ruby and must have gems for on the road. Rails is a bit overkill for the first gen RPi as the system resources donā€™t handle it well so itā€™s not on my list. I do like Rails Admin but I was unable to upgrade to Rails 4.2 because of its dependency situation (which may have changed). But Iā€™m really curious as to any other useful gems you may know of.

Ok hereā€™s some from my last app:

gem ā€˜nokogiriā€™
gem ā€˜pgā€™
gem ā€˜rails_adminā€™
gem ā€˜capistranoā€™
gem ā€œmini_magickā€
gem ā€˜carrierwaveā€™
gem ā€˜activemerchantā€™
gem ā€˜nexmoā€™
gem ā€˜global_phoneā€™

1 Like

Update! The gem yt_util is a must have. If you plan to do anything with Youtube you need it. Discovered I needed it now that the Youtube v2 API is no more.

P.S. Itā€™s my only RSpec tested gem

2 Likes