Opal Resources

If you have any links to Opal resources please add them to this wiki (Trust Level One required) or, if you’re not at TL1 yet post them in this thread one of us with TL1 will add them to the first post. (Please append when adding content to this wiki.)

##Official sites

##Newsletters

##Isomorphic Frameworks

• Volt - Full stack Ruby framework

##Frontend Frameworks or Libraries

##Other Libraries

##Playgrounds

##Talks

##Screencasts

• (Please submit!)

##Blog posts / Other Links

##Demo Apps

/Please note this thread is a work in progress/

2 Likes

Hello AstonJ.

I created a JQuery library to add an “OpalBox”. I created it with educational purposes (for example, blog posts). The link to the library is: Opalbox-jquery by Angelmmiguel

I hope you enjoy.

Regards :wink:

2 Likes

Haha you beat me to it @angelrb… I was just about to start a thread called ‘Opal Tech’ where we list Opal related libraries :wink: I’ll add yours to that once I put it up :+1:

1 Like

Thanks @AstonJ :smile:

1 Like

I’ll plug a few things of mine

opal-irb

all the opal posts I’ve written

My rubyconf opal video

3 Likes

Ok added to this thread @angelrb @fkchang2000 ditched the idea of having two separate threads as it may get confusing.

I’ll add the blog posts later - if you can list them in order of introductory to more complex that would be a big help :slight_smile: I’ll add links to each one then rather than just one :wink:

1 Like

You should include lissio GitHub - meh/lissio: E vai col lissio! an opal component library

It has a few example apps

Also the demo app I used in my Rubyconf 2014 Jubilee Talk (Putting the fun into Funkworks: 6 Reasons Jubilee Could be a Rubyist's New Best Friend) http://bit.ly/rpsmayhem is runs opal on the front end. There is a bit of code in the preso and slides

2 Likes

Is the demo app a Lissio app @fkchang2000? If not I can create a new heading called demo apps and put it under there :slight_smile:

Ok Guys - done.

I’ve also made this thread a wiki - so anyone at trust level one can make changes. See this announcement for more info about Trust Levels: MetaRuby Trust Levels

It’s not. I have an app that is a lissio app that’s an internal tool we might open up to the public someday, but not yet

…ok added :slight_smile:

@AstonJ I think Lissio should go under frameworks instead of other libs

1 Like

…done :slight_smile:

Just now looking into trying out Opal. I found it odd that I couldn’t find some complicated setup guide. Then looking at: http://opalrb.org/docs/guides/0-8-stable/rails.html everything is done for you in new project generation with:

rails _4.2.4_ new ProjectName --javascript=opal

And I’m good to go! :smile_cat:

I’m impressed. And I haven’t even started coding yet.

1 Like

As I’m contemplating what goes where. I started to look at Opal code and think about the view/controller/assets layout. I didn’t think the controller would be a good place for Opal, so I looked online and found this blog: How to Introduce Opal Gently into a Legacy Rails App . Here he created his own app/front folder and organized it much like the current app directory. This makes sense.

Since Opal is still fairly young I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Rails and Opal tips, getting started, and best practices forum thread?

1 Like

Congratz with starting Opal - you’ll be amazed with it.

about Opal tips:
Yeah, Opal tips would be great.

1 Like

Sounds like a good idea @danielpclark - maybe start a thread here and @ some of the Opal guys for their input? Perhaps you could then blog about it from the ground up? I was going to suggest you blog about it anyway, an Opal series :wink:

Most of the core team are members here, @adambeynon @elia @meh @vais and many other contributors and bloggers like @fkchang2000 and @RickCarlino :slight_smile:

Just added:

Full-stack Ruby: build a realtime web app with React.rb and Opal - by RethinkDB

http://rethinkdb.com/blog/ruby-opal/

Added:

Opal-Phoenix - Opal wrapper for Phoenix Framework javascript library

I’ve made approach to wrapping React (simplified react.rb) with model layer (can be used separately)
link: link

1 Like